Coming from a chemistry background I love to experiment in the kitchen!
On the other day I was craving something fresh, sweet and with chocolate. I made this smoothie with cherries and cacao nibs and the result was heavenly good! I had to share it with you!
Cherries are packed with antioxidants that offer many health benefits, including help with insomnia, belly fat and aging.
In a study, researchers found that when rats had received whole tart cherry powder mixed into a high-fat diet, they didn’t gain as much weight or build up as much body fat as rats that didn’t eat cherries.
Cherries are actually one of my favourite summer fruits, and if it helps to avoid belly fat, that is awesome!
The Smoothie is very easy to make. Here is the recipe:
- Serves 2 (medium glasses)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen organic cherries (or fresh, if you have the patience to de-pitt them yourself!)
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tsp. raw cacao nibs
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- Toppings: non-dairy chocolate chips
- Add the coconut milk, cherries, banana, avocado and cacao nibs to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed, blend until smooth. If needed gradually increase to higher speeds and blend until smooth.
- You can add a bit more of coconut milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Top with non-dairy chocolate chips if desired.
Happy bank holiday!